Was adopted by Loren Snider and Josephine Eschenbacher.

Attended Franklin Elementary, Great Falls, Mt. til 5th grade.

He placed in a local school contest  "Charles Russell Essay"

contest. And had his picture taken for the local "Great

Falls Tribune" newspaper sometime in the first week

of March 1975. His essay was read by Governor Thomas

Judge at opening ceremonies for the "Charles Russell

Art  Auction" of that same month.  Marshall drowned on

March 16, 1975 in the Missouri River near the West Central

Bridge in Great Falls, Mt. His body was finally recovered

April 25, 1975 - 40 days later.


Great Falls Tribune - Monday, March 3, 1975

"I LIKE CHARLIE" Winners -

(photo included of the 3 winners)

These three fifth graders were named winners Sunday of the annual

"I like Charlie Russell Essay Contest" sponsored by the Great Falls Advertising Club.

From left, they are Janet Covey of Riverview School, Diane England, Russell School, and

Marshall Snider, Franklin School. The three were given copies of a city proclamation on

Russell for their efforts. The awards were presented during a ceremony at the Russell

Museum kicking off the observance of Russell Month promoting the annual Russell Auction

of Western Art, March 20-22. (Tribune photo)

Great Falls Tribune - Monday, March 17, 1975


(photo included of sheriff looking on)

Marshall Snider, 12, 425 1st Ave S.W., broke through the Missouri River ice and was

presumed drown shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday at a point behind the Pacific Hide and Fur

steel building downriver from the First Avenue Northwest Bridge. Ed Burnham,

523 3rd Ave S.W., about the same age, also fell into the river but was reportedly pulled to safety

after the third companion, Jesse Lankford, 321 2nd Ave S.W., pushed a piece of steel reinforcing

bar to him from the bank. Above, Jim Lynn holds the line tied around patrolman Jim Burkey, who

searched an area at the head of the icepack first believed to be the spot where Snider disappeared.

Later, sheriff's posse divers searched in an area pointed out by Lankford until darkness forced

a halt to the search at 7:30 p.m. (Tribune photo)



Great Falls Tribune -March 18, 1975

Marshall Snider, 12, had hoped to grow up to be

like Charles M. Russell and he wrote about his aspirations in a recent

award-winning essay. But the boys hopes ended Sunday afternoon

when he fell through the ice into the Missouri River while playing with

two companions. His body has not yet been recovered.

"Even if I can never paint like him (Russell), I would still like to have
the feeling he has towards life" Snider wrote in his essay which was chosen
one of three winners in the city-wide annual "Why I like Charles M. Russell"
contest, March 2.

March 6 was declared Marshall Snider day at
Franklin Elementary School
in honor of his achievement. He read his essay before the school's student
body. Snider stated " He (Russell) never was rich but he did what he loved
most which made him rich in other ways".

"When I grow up, I would very much like to be like him".

One of the judges of the contest was Dr. E.S. Edwin, who had been

Russell's physician. After reading all of the essays submitted, Edwin

said that Snider's essay truly captured the real essence of Russell.

Snider's essay reads:
"(Russell) had the courage to come west to unsettled country and to
do what he had always dreamed to do which was paint. He could paint
anything after seeing it once.
He respected the Indians and painted real happenings among them.
He also lived with them so he could understand them better.
He didn't like to kill animals, he loved all living creatures. He figured
all men where equal and he didn't care what color, race or if they were
big or small.

To him, he was only a painter and he loved his work. To me, he was

a great artist and his paintings he left us keeps him alive to everyone

who loves art work of any kind.

He earned his fame through his work and the way he lived his life. He never
was rich but he did what he loved most which made him rich in other ways.
When I grow up I would very much like to be like him.

Even if I can never paint like him, I would still like to have the feelings
he had towards life. That is why I like Charles Marion Russell.

To me, he was good at everything he did. He was a good man and don't let
anyone else tell you different."


Great Falls Tribune - Tuesday, March 18, 1975


Monday, 9:30 a.m. - Central Avenue West Bridge, behind malt plant,

assist sheriff's department.

Great Falls Tribune - Tuesday, March 18, 1975


Cascade County Search and Rescue divers spent nearly seven hours Monday

searching the icy waters of the Missouri River for the body of 12 year old Marshall Snider

before calling a halt in the late afternoon. The search will resume again this morning at

9:30 a.m.

(Related story on page 1 (above)).

Snider, son of Mr. and Mrs. Loren M. Snider, 425 1st Ave S.W., broke through the ice near

the Great Falls Brewery malt plant adjacent to the First Avenue North Bridge Sunday afternoon

while playing on the ice floe with two friends.

One of his companions, Ed Burnham, 12, 523 3rd Ave. S.W., also fell into the river when

the ice gave way but he was pulled to safety by Jesse Lankford, 11, 321 2nd Ave. S.W., who

pushed a piece of steel reinforcing rod to him from the bank.

Divers Frank Tuss, Jim Johnsrud, Steve Fleming, Dennis Polglase, Tony Speck and

JIm Mafera worked in two-man 25-minute shifts under water Monday in the unsuccessful

attempt to recover the body.

The divers were hampered by strong current, numerous ice floes floating downstream

and air tank regulators which continually froze up in the 32 degree water. Johnsrud said the

divers were particularly leery of the floes which nearly trapped one diver beneath the ice

Sunday afternoon.

According to reports, Tuss had just entered the water when Johnsrud spotted a huge

ice floe moving downstream. Johnsrud said several divers on the ice hauled Tuss back to

the surface by his safety line and managed to pull him onto the ice just before the floe

rammed into the stationary ice pack, completely closing off the hole which Tuss was diving.

Johnsrud said ice jams upstream and downstream from the point where Snider disappeared

reach to the bottom of the river and it is between these two jams where the search is being


Great Falls Tribune - Saturday, April 26, 1975


A body believed to be that of 12 year old Marshall Snider was found on the north side of the

Missouri River about 25 feet east of the Fifteenth Street Bridge Friday night.

Cascade County Sheriff's deputies said the clothing on the body matched that worn by the

Snider youth when he and another youngster fell through the river ice while playing March 16.

The second boy was rescued.

The recovery was made after the body had been sighted by Bryce Dorman, 17, a C.M.Russell

student, at about 6.p.m.

The CMR student, who had gone for a walk, went to his home at 122 1/2 16th St. Black Eagle,

and told his mother, Rose. Mrs. Dorman said she went to make sure it was a body, and when she was running to a phone, was stopped by a Montana Power Co. employee, who radioed in the discovery.

The body was taken to a hospital for positive identification.

Great Falls Tribune - Sunday, April 27, 1975.



Graveside services will be Monday at 2 p.m. in Havre's Highland Cemetery for Marshall Snider,

12, fifth grade Franklin School essay winner, who fell through the ice of the Missouri River and

drowned March 16.

Memorial services were conducted March 22. Snider was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Loren M. Snider,

425 1st Ave S.W. O'Connor Funeral Home is in charge.